- making sure you know how to login to your blog
- updating your profile including creating a new password
- checking settings
- activating plugins especially compfight for images – this will be a separate post
- creating your “About Page” – this will be a separate post
Activity 1. Logging in
- In the address bar of your computer, type in the URL of your blog eg www.eschoolblogs.org.au/your username
- In the top left corner, click on login
- Type in your username and password that was in the email you received from Edublogs or you have when using your class blog
- click on the big blue button and it should now take you to your dashboard where you can begin
- if you do not get sent to your dashboard, then hover over My Sites or the Name of your blog in the top left corner and click on dashboard
Activity 2. Updating profile and new password
On the right side of your dashboard is the section called “My Account”
Click on update profile
At 4, fill in the URL of your own blog eg http://www.eschoolblogs.org.au/your username
Now head to the bottom of the profile page and choose a new password. Write it in both areas. Your password needs to be medium or strong. Check out the video pages in the header to get a strong password. For more information on strong passwords, read the post linked here.
Finally click the big blue button update profile.
Activity 3. Checking your settings
Change name of your blog: Settings > general
Change your blog title and tagline – again be internet safe in what you choose. Make sure timezone is Hobart and choose how you want dates and times to show on your blog. Finally save changes button.
Adding teachers or parents as administrators: Users> add new
You must have at least two other people as administrators or teachers on your blog, preferably a teacher and a parent. If your teacher already has a username, add them under existing user. But if your parent is prepared to be an administrator, add them under new user. Remember to choose administrator in the drop down box. If mum is the new user, give her username as mum yourusername eg mumlds13john Use same pattern if dad.
What was the hardest part about week 1 of this course?
Do you think it would be harder for students who had done no blogging before? Why?
What do you want to learn from this course?