Photo Credit: Vic via Compfight
For the rest of the year, all your activities will relate to the student blogging challenge.
Some questions to answer first:
- Have you registered yet? Check out the student participants here. Go to your age group and see if your name and blog URL are included. If yes, go to next question.
- Have you added the challenge badge to your blog? If no, follow these instructions on this post.
- Have you had a comment yet from your mentor? Find the mentor’s name at the top of your student group (they will be same colour as you) If yes, make sure you reply to their comment.
Activities to go on with
The challenge is all about you trying different things, reading instructions, helping each other and improving your blogging experience.
Week 1 is about introducing yourself.
- Make sure you check out some of the student About Me pages mentioned in this post. If you want to add to your About Me page, ask me to change it back to draft so you can improve it.
- It was also about creating avatars. Most of you have added your user avatar, but you can also add a blog avatar. It can be the same avatar and to upload it, go to your dashboard> settings> blog avatar.
- Also have a look at activities 5, 7 and 9 You might be interested in trying one of these.
Week 2 is about commenting
- If you haven’t seen Mrs Yollis’ video about commenting, then spend some time now watching it. It is at the bottom of the commenting post.
- Visit Mrs Yollis’ post about commenting. She also shows some interesting HTML code you could be using in your comments.
- You might want to have a go at one of the activities about commenting. They all sound great and one includes how to add to your blogroll and another is adding a widget like a flag counter.
Week 3 is about town and country
- lots of activities relating to our country Australia
- where would you prefer to live – town or city – why?
- Number 13 challenge is about haunted houses or ghost stories
Week 4 is about your digital footprint and Blog Action Day (inequality)
- Visit Mr Bogush’s website to read the activities
- write post about inequality
- number 13 is add 13 new links to blogroll ready for a game in a couple of weeks time
Week 5 is about using images and videos
- lots of choices relating to images in your blog
- have a go at some of them
- remember to use compfight and give the attribution
Each week I will add on to this post about the activities you might want to have a go at from the challenge blog.
Remember to ask for help by leaving a comment here
PS If leaving a comment try to use some HTML code as shown in Mrs Yollis’ post.
How well did your school and family cope with that terrible weather last week?
Write a post about it.
- What you saw …
- What you heard …
- How you felt …
- What you were worried about …
- What you did …
Photo Credit: Luke Zeme via Compfight
Click in front of the first word in your post.
Now using the compfight plugin, (camera next to add media button above post icons) find an image you can use – just use the keyword Tasmania
Does it have to be a picture of the real stormy weather? No, just something representing bad weather in Tasmania.
Click on the S under the picture you have chosen.
When you are returned to your post area, just click return or enter key.
Your writing should now be on a new line and your image should still have that small writing underneath it. This is the attribution for the image and you need this for any image you put in your blog.
Photo Credit: null via Compfight
I have just been checking what work has been done while I am away. I noticed Angus is keeping up and only has to add some links to his blogroll. Some of you have added comments and widgets as well. Keep working on that checklist. Leave a comment on one of my posts if you have a question about what to do.
But here are some other ideas for posts:
What is your favourite colour and why? Write a poem about it maybe. Add an image of that colour.
Our world in danger – I notice this week UNESCO is meeting in Doha to make a decision about the Great Barrier Reef. Research this and write a post about the result.
Your relatives are coming to Tasmania for a two week holiday. Plan where they are going to visit and how long they will be in certain places. Remember to add a hyperlink to some places like Port Arthur. Here is a post about how to add hyperlinks.
If you could be any animal in the world, what would you be and why?
Who is your favourite musician, singer, band etc? Write a post about them but remember to write in your own words. Don’t copy and paste from another website. Add one video to your post – find this in youtube. Here is a post explaining how to add a video to your post.
Photo Credit: Faith Goble via Compfight
As Miss W or Sue is travelling overseas at the moment, each week she will write a post for you to complete during your normal online classroom time.
Week 1 post
What is a country you would love to visit?
Write a post about this country. Include 3 places you would visit in this country and why. Write three questions you would like answered about this country.
Find an image using the compfight plugin to add to your post.
What is compfight plugin? Check out this post to make sure you have activated it on your blog. If you have, you should see these icons on your post dashboard.
If you want to follow my journey, I will be adding to my travelling blog most days with Mr Davo Devil who I take away with me on my journeys.
You will also notice I have added two other clocks to the blog – one for Ireland time and one for the place where I will be in America.
In the last post, you learnt how to create a cyber pet to put in your sidebar and to play with at home (not at school!)
But your readers might like to know a bit more about your pet.
- Why did you name it Llarry Llama?
- How did it get its colour purple?
- Where did it come from?
- Why is it staying at your place?
Perhaps you could be creative and write a story or a poem about your cyber pet. You could also include your pet in the post.
To include pet in post.
- Write your post about your animal. Save draft.
- Get the code for your animal either at the website or from inside your text box in your widget area. Copy it.
- Come back to your post and change the post tab from Visual to HTML or text
- Paste in your code underneath all your writing.
- Save draft or publish.